Tuesday, 19 January 2010

Little Drop of Poison

13 weeks, two days...

Over the years of life with UC I have tried to be proactive. It inevitably starts with trawling the internet - my first consultant recommended this, but I would have anyway - but, then, that always ends in tears. By the time I'd finished I had practically booked my self in for a colonoscopy aswell as developing the symptoms for at least four other life-threatening diseases. A dangerous place, the internet. Next step is to modify the diet. Join the NACC (get your 'Please Can I Use Your Toilet' card). Download research papers, investigate all the current thinking, weird and wonderful (nicotine, margerine, pre/pro-biotics, worms...?). And so on, and so on, and on, and on. Then there'd be a lull, until something fired me up again.

But there has been one area of proactivity that really helped and has remained a constant. I gave up alcohol. On April Fools day 2005... It seemed fitting. Booze always was one of the clearest triggers in the early days of my UC. I cut down, but in the end it was obvious a period of total sobriety was required. Not that I ever set out to stay dry forever...

Despite this lifestyle change, I have remained a pub-goer, and I can just about stand to be around people imbibing... (OK, I'll admit it, I have got a bit 'holier-than-thou'). In the early days there was very little on offer outside coke, lemonade, fruit juice (in miniscule servings - not that I could ever drink fruit juice). But over these last five years there has been a noticeable increase in alcohol-free beers. So here is my little guide to booze free drinking (in the pubs of Brighton anyway):


First, but by all means, least, Kaliber. This stuff was around when I was in the youthful flush of my drinking days. It was disgusting then. And despite 20-odd years to improve it (and the fact it's made by Guiness) it remians disgusting. Where's me diet coke?



Bitburger. Yep, I've never heard of it either. German apparently. Not bad, quite bitter - this is a fact I have found with most of the alcohol-free beers. I wonder if it has something to do with the alcohol free process removing sugars? Certainly no Kaliber. Drinkable.







Clausthaler. Mm-hmm, Another new beer on me. Another German one. Sensible them Germans. Despite being well known for their Munich beer-based Oktoberfest, they clearly appreciate the finer enjoyment to found from the taste of beer alone... Why would you want to get drunk anyway?






Good old Becks Blue. By far the most common of the alcohol-free beers. It's now available in nearly every pub I frequent (not actually that many). It's pretty good. Still suffers from that bitterness. But it taste pretty convincing otherwise (so says a man who hasn't had a 'proper' drink for nearly 5 years...). German again, and they take the alcohol out the beer after they've brewed it! Clever! Anyway, it's saved me from the hell of soft drinks, so I like it.




Finally, Cobra Zero. Indian Beer. This is my fav. Just about the freshest tasting and least bitter of this little lot. Sadly, not available in many pubs, so it's my supermarket choice for BBQ's and dinner parties (oh yes, I'm that sophisticated). Unfortunately during my research for pictures for this post I have just discovered that this beer is now in short supply due to the collapse of the Cobra beer company...! Oh God, you bastard.



So, there you go. Some beers for you to try. Give the booze the boot. I reckon you'll find it helps the UC...

And, alcohol free beer can help ward off cancer, and lower cholestrol... Haha!

3 comments:

Whittles Wobble said...

I too have given up drinking. And contemplated worms. How many of us are there out there looking at this stuff, I wonder.

Rich said...

Good for you Whittles! Welcome to the wagon...

I always thought the worms sounded kind of promising, but never got round to asking the consultant about them - whipworms if I remember rightly?

Paula said...

I sneak the odd beer, but basically no alcohol for me these days...I also reckon I'm too old for hanovers..especially with noisy kids first thing in the morning :D