Wednesday, 2 December 2009

Here comes the Nice

OH. MY. GOD. That is now five weeks without a pill popped. Thirty-eight, glorious days to be exact. Thirty-eight days. I should say that this state of affairs has co-incided with my perseverance with Guy Cohen's therapies. Follow the link. Make of them what you will. I can only report what is happening to me. And so far, what I have to report is a joy to type.

So, what are the side-effects of not taking prednisolone? (!)

Firstly, about three weeks ago, I suddenly noticed that my head no longer felt like a relief map of the moon. Gone were the scabby, pustulous, potentially volcanic ridges of acne. I have no idea why my own particular steroid-acne was mostly confined to my scalp (I promise I did appreciate this blessing), but, crikey, it felt like someone had stuck rice-crispies up there. Lord knows what my head would have suggested to a phrenologist...

Secondly, the slow but definite abdominal shrinkage. Yep, I know it seemed like a good excuse, but those mean little preds were definitely the cause of my not being able to do up some pairs of trousers. It was NOT the cakes. Sssssshhh. Stop it. No, seriously, I'm pretty sure I've lost a bit of weight. Well, not weight exactly. Bloat.

Thirdly, less preds, calmer mind. Plus hypnotherapy, even calmer mind. Red mist became pink mist became mist... Still grumpy sometimes though. Not angry. Just grumpy.

And finally, one little irk. Since I stopped my knees have been painful. This could be a result of this early seasons football. My own particular brand of chasing a ball round a muddy field and falling over frequently to be exact. Quality aside, the knees could be a gentle reminder from my 36 year old body to pack in this footballing lark, or at least build up to the season a little each summer (rather than become utterly sedantry for 3 months and then charge straight on to the field with all the dignity and restraint of an exuberant child). Or they could have something to do with plying my body with steroids for 18+ months and then stopping. Orrrrrr, it could be arthritis. But we're not thinking negatively, are we...?

3 comments:

Jade Sheldon said...

Hooray! I'm currently on 25mg and am on a steady decline, THANK GOODNESS.

I too experience the bloat and skin problems of pred: it's horrible how something that can make you feel better in one way can run 5 other things...

and PS, I am still picturing tea bag trousers and cannot stop laughing... :)

Whittles Wobble said...

Impressive, Rich. Keep that good news comin'.

Rich said...

Hi Jade, yeah, I always think that's what makes pred particularly evil: it was the only drug that ever controlled my UC but its short-term side effects were rubbish and disfiguring and its long-term effects were so unhealthy I was never going to be allowed to take it for very long... not that you'd want to because they'd make you look like a spotty michelin man.

I was thinking about the tea bags, you know, I use so many of the things I reckon I'd have enough for a suit in a coupla days. It'd be funky... til it rained!

Hi Whittles. Thanks. It's good news all the way on the mercy seat these days...