Wednesday, 8 October 2008

Walk on the wild side

"Whisper it: I've only gone and done a number 4"





Such was the start of a post I almost put up yesterday. Then I thought better of it. Too late - merely thinking it was enough. I am still wavering around the upper 5/6 area of the Bristol Chart. I haven't decided whether to change my pred dose or not yet - its a case of ensuring I've got enough to last until the next hospital appt on the 4th November. I have been having sustained thoughts of embarking on the azathioprine... but it really depends on the mood I'm in when that hospital appointment comes around.





And so to other matters. Until the recent mini-flare-up, I had begun to appreciate the restorative powers of (the once anathema) non-alcoholic beer. Yep. Thats what I said: NON-alcoholic beer. Far be it from me or my blog to become a vessel for capitalist advertising, but this is the stuff I'd been drinking:

In the formative years of my drinking life the main contributors to the world of alcohol free beer were Kalibur and Barbican... hoho, remember those: "Bar-be-can... alcohol free beer...??!" Cue californian prohibition era policemen with the feeling of redundancy dawning on their faces as in the background others smash up a speakeasy... ah, I used to love that advert. However, when it came to drinking the stuff i) never in a million drunken years would you be seen dead with one of those clutched in your lifeless hand, and ii) everybody I ever knew, including me, claimed they tasted disgusting "euuugh nuffink like 'real' beer". Even the efforts of Sean (I am an adult, honest) Bean couldn't get us to drink em.

However, needs must when the Devil lives in your bottom. And so, with weary reluctance I dutifully tried a gulp when offered by a pregnant aquaintance recently. And, blow me, if it wasn't pretty bloody good. Now I have to temper this sudden embracing of contemporary alcohol free beer with the footnote that I haven't touched a drop (your honour) for 42 months... which may mean my beer tasting buds have gone wonky, but really the stuff tasted wonderful. Just like the real thing! Lordy, a glimmer of hope! Upon closer inspection it seems that the brewers achieve that authentic beery taste by brewing it first AND THEN removing the alcohol. Marvellous.

Two points to note, however:

1) After 3 bottles, I had to try to ignore the hollow feeling that was starting to grow... Maybe one or two is enough.

2) I woke up with a bloody hangover! Can anyboy explain...?

No comments: